effective analytical applications like Kayak and Google Analytics make different assumptions:
- Users have a general question, but do not necessarily know details about what they’re looking for.
- Users need to see results before they can ask better, more detailed questions. These feedback loops provide critical learning.
- Users need to get to data as quickly and easily as possible. A screen without data is delayed progress.
- Different views of the data can provide different insights about results.
- Users want the application to keep up with their trains of thought. Speed and responsiveness matter.